fredag 29. april 2011

Double entry journal

Reading "Perfect Chemistry", I found a couple of main themes. One is loyalty. Brittany has to be loyal to her sister. Her parents want to send Shelly (the sister) away, but she desides to step in and take care of her as much as possible. She has to be loyal to her parents and friends and stay perfect. She can't loose her perfect image because it will damage her friends and family, at least that's what she thinks.

Alex on the other hand has to be loyal to his family, and in order to protect them, he has to become a gang member. He has to do whatever he's asked to. But he has one friend in the gang named Paco, these two boys are as close as you can get. But what happens when Alex has to be loyal to both Paco, the gang and not to mention Brittany?

I have written a double entry journal with two of the topics: conflicts and self realization.


2 Conflicts

"Everyone knows I'm perfect. My life is perfect. My clothes are perfect. Even my family is perfect. And although it's a complete lie, I've worked my butt off to keep up the appearance that I have it all. The truth, if it were to come out, would destroy my entire picture-perfect image."

These are the first sentences in the book. Immediately, we see Brittany as the popular, perfect - yet not so perfect girl who struggles a bit more then she lets on. The thing I like about this part is that we see Brittany for who she really is, and not for the snobby act that she puts on. I chose this quote because even though it's not the "main" conflict in the book, it's a hidden part of the book. Brittany needs to find herself, and meeting Alex first made things ten times more difficult, but as soon as she settles with the fact that she has fallen for a gang-member, she starts to find the true Brittany. The one that can stand up for what she believes in, and that doesn't need to prove herself to others.

4 Self realization

"Alex," she interrupts.

"Yeah."

"Assure me nothing's going to happen to you."

I can't. "Just dance," I say quietly as i guide her arms around me and we dance. Looking over Brittany, I see Hector and my mother in an intense conversation. I wonder what they're talking about. She starts walking away from him, until he grabs her arm and pulls her back and says something in her ear."

This is Alex writing/thinking. Alex has invited Brittany to his cousins wedding, and they are dancing. But as Brittany surrounds herself with Alex’s family, she realizes what the gang life is really about. She's scared, worried. Alex on the other hand, doesn't want Brittany to be scared. Hector is the gang leader. He's the one who gives orders to Alex, but when he sees Brittany trouble comes along. Alex can't stay loyal to his gang and Brittany at the same time. Hector is talking to his mother, and this worries him a lot. The reason he is a gang member is to protect his mother and brothers from Hector, and suddenly he shows up at this wedding. Something’s up, and Alex knows it. This is when he realizes he can't live like this forever. This part of the book is a big turning point. Alex wants to protect his family from Hector, he wants to have Brittany for himself, and he wants out of the gang. This is where everything starts falling apart.

1 kommentar:

  1. It looks like you found two really good paragraphs to use in your double entry journal and you describe why you think they are essential. Even if I haven't read the book I thought it was interesting to read about like this.

    SvarSlett