fredag 1. oktober 2010

The Kite Runner


The Kite Runner is about Amir who lives in Afghanistan with his father (Baba), Ali (the servant) and his son Hassan. Baba and Ali had grown up together, but Ali is a Hazara, which means that he is worth less than a normal Pashtun. Amir is a Sunni, Hassan is a Shi`a. Amir and Hassan are not exactly friends. Hassan will do anything for Amir. "For you a thousand times over", he says to Amir before running the kite for him. But Amir on the other hand, is not so friendly towards Hassan. He likes to look at himself as a smarter person then Hassan, and he never plays with him when others are around.

For this blog entry, I was asked to choose a paragraph that I liked in the book. Still I haven't read that much, but my favorite paragraph is when Amir is thinking:

"I watched him fill his glass at the bar and wondered how much time would pass before we talked again the way we just had. Because the truth of it was, I always felt like Baba hated me a little. And why not? After all, I had killed his beloved wife, his beautiful princess, hadn't I? The least I could have done was to have had the decency to have turned out a little more like him. But I hadn't turned out like him. Not at all".

The reason I liked this paragraph is that you can really see how fragile Amir is. He's just a child, and he feels like his father hates him. I think sometimes grown ups forget how much a child can feel, even though he/she is young. I can imagine that he's not the only child in the world that feels like his parents want another child.

I will keep posting on my blog when I've read some more.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar